Baby's Big Day Out





Yesterday was, as you know if you read my blog yesterday - The Big Day Out festival in Melbourne. A very lovely friend sorted some tickets for myself and some friends and so in we headed with our weed hidden inside Ray Ban cases and our sunscreen applied.
As I'm well known to T.F (Take Forever - or as Sarah and Carly fondly refer to it as Titty Fuck) we didn't get there until midway through the Kasabian set. Not a big deal. They were good however I found that most all the acts on the two main stages had trouble with sound throughout the day. Not that there was a particular problem, but outdoors and large crowds never seem to sound quite right and half of what they think you can hear, you can't.
Next up was Girl Talk. Now if you know me you know how much my heart soars at the mention of mash ups. Oh the pretty invention of making music for the attention deficit. Greg Gillis delivers constantly. I don't give a fuck if the guy is on a laptop. You try it. Plus the show isn't really about watching him, it's about enjoying the moment. And we all did. Furiously.
Danced our little hearts out.
I've seen Girl Talk five times in a total of four different countries, he only gets better each time and his passion for Lil Wayne makes a perfect match for me.
After Girl Talk we all went off in search of food (ommnommnomm) and then headed to Dizzee. Honestly, Dizzee Rascal was one act I was really dying to see and he flopped big time. I thought he was really boring. Maybe that was the sound problem, but he could not get a crowd response it seemed. I decided to leave halfway through to see Rise Against, but the moment that I realised it was in fact Rise Against not Rage Against I decided to stay and prop myself on the grass somewhere for Lily Allen. Got to see Pro Green on stage, fucking shattered that it was such a short appearance - imho he should have had a set at some point during the day. If you don't know his stuff, get to.
After Lily the crowds were too big to handle rushing to Calvin so we missed that which was a downer, in fact I missed quiet alot of things I wanted to see because of the time clashing but there will be another time surely. Laid out on the grass smoking grass for a good hour or two which was honestly one of the better parts of the day. Everyone had started to disappear and we had just the right amount of sunlight.
Dragged Sean out to see Simian Mobile Disco (WOW) - and then Sasha; during which I saw the dirtiest old man actually fingerbang an unsuspecting pill popping possibly underage girl... That was a bit incredible.
Sean left soon after as I think he was a little scarred from that sight, and you can't blame him really... After he left I lost the girls and everyones phone died, but eventually caught up with Dylan and we smoked ourselves silly to Dead Prez which was one of the greatest acts of the day. Spent the whole time toking up and mixing the lyrics between "it's bigger than hiphop, hiphop" to "for all my dealers that lick shots, lick shots" (Pro Green samples the beat from the Dead Prez song).
All in all a fucking amazing day, documented here for no reason other than so that I can remember it later on in life. Only real punish of the day came from the line to get home. Took about an hour, but still managed to arrive home a good hour before Sean who left maybe three hours before me. I don't know how that happened but that ladies and gentlemen, is why you do not live in the fucking suburbs.




0 comments:

Post a Comment